Monday, December 17, 2012

Southern Living's Icebox Dinner Rolls

 
Forget the ham, who cares about the sweet potatoes, and, I'm sorry, but your failed attempt at a jello mold does not impress me.  But rolls...oh yeah.  I'm all about the bread during the holidays!! My cousin and I are in charge of rolls and a vegetable this year for Christmas dinner.  So, I decided to bring my Pan-roasted Corn and these wonderful rolls! 
 
Recently my mom has been giving me her magazines when she is finished reading them.  So I have been filling my time browsing through Better Homes and Gardens, Martha Stewart Living, and Southern Living magazines.  It's nice to get some new ideas and to have an easy read during naptime or right before I go to bed. 
 
I came across this recipe for Icebox Dinner Rolls in the Christmas edition of Southern Living.  The picture they had for the rolls made them look so buttery and delicious!  The dough actually has to sit in the fridge for 8-12 hours so it's a great make-ahead recipe.
 
The recipe calls for 6 Tbsp. of vegetable shortening.  If you have ever tried to measure it out, it can be pretty messy and a pain to have to clean up.  So I have this pretty neat tool that makes the job much easier.

 
Just slide the yellow portion down to the desired measurement and fill with the shortening.  Then you simply push the yellow plunger up and it pushes the shortening out.  Piece of cake!  That gets mixed with some hot water and sugar until it dissolves.

 
See how easy that is to fill?  Shortening also makes great hand cream if you can't find your Avon Deep Moisturizer or if you find yourself elbow deep in vegetable shortening.  I plead the fifth to both of those...
 
You then mix some yeast in some warm water until it's bubbly.

 
Put all of those ingredients together and add some salt and flour.
Mix until smooth.

 
Then cover and place in the fridge.  I had to show a picture of my funny bowl covers...they look like shower caps!! 
 Let it sit overnight or 8-24 hours. 
 
 
It's a good thing the dough didn't need my immediate attention...someone decided to be cranky (she's teething) and fall asleep on me right when I needed to get dinner started!  Babies always know when you are trying to be productive...

 
(Put your baby down before continuing on to the next steps...)
 
Take the dough out of the fridge, knead until smooth (about 1 minute), and divided into little balls. 
 Place 3 balls into greased muffin tins, as shown, and brush with some melted butter.  Cover and let rise for 30-45 minutes in a warm place.

 
Bake for 8-10 minutes in a 400 degree oven and brush with a little more melted butter (because why not?).


 
Delicious, right?  I know...because bread is the most important part of the meal!
 
My husband and I have family that live in Bethel, Connecticut and they know families that have been affected by the horrible events in Newtown.  I'm unsure of how to react or grieve to these unspeakable acts.  It's shocking and gut wrenching as a wife and mother.  I've linked up with The Better Half in support of Sandy Hook.   They're donating $1 for each person that links up with them.  Check out their link to find out how you can help support the victims in Newtown, CT.
 
Southern Living's Icebox Dinner Rolls
Makes: 1 1/2 dozen
 
1 cup boiling water
6 Tbsp. shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 (1/4 oz.) envelope active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, melted and divided
 
1. Pour boiling water over shortening and next 2 ingredients in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer, and stir until shortening melts and sugar and salt are completely dissolved.  Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine yeast and warm water in a 1-cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
3. Add yeast mixture and egg to shortening mixture; beat at low speed until combined.  Gradually add flour, beating at low speed 2 to 3 minutes or until flour is blended and dough is soft and smooth.
4. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 1 minute).  Gently shape dough into 60 (1-inch) balls; place 3 dough balls in each cup of 2 lightly greased 12-cup muffin pans.  Brush rolls with half of melted butter.
6. Cover pans with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place, 30 to 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Brush with remaining melted butter. Serve immediately.
 


3 comments:

Chris said...

Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Carol said...

Hi Chris! Thanks for following Weeknight Dish. I will check out your blog and I'm honored that you like following mine!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...